- Also known as cerebrovascular disease.
- Occurs when blood vessels are blocked or burst, causing parts of the brain to shut down.
- Critical parts of the brain can be permanently disabled with no chance of recovery.
TYPES OF STROKE
Blood vessel clogs from within causing a reduction in blood flow
Blood vessel ruptures, causing blood to leak into the brain
WARNING SIGNS OF STROKE
to Call 999
Burden of Stroke in Malaysia
Stroke admissions 2016
Below 60 years old
Deaths per day
RM 180 Million
Cost of stroke management for 33,812 admissions per year
3 out 10
EFFECTS OF STROKE
ARE YOU AT RISK?
As you get older, your risk of stroke increases
Pre-existing Medical Conditions
- High blood pressure
- Atrial fibrillation
- High cholesterol
- Eating unhealthy food
- Indian / Pakistani / Bangladeshi / Nepalese / Sri Lankan
If a family member has had a stroke, your risk of stroke is higher
HOW TO TREAT STROKE?
- Medication delivered directly to the brain
- Remove the clot with stent retriever
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Surgical clipping
- Coiling (endovascular embolisation)
- Surgical arteriovenous malformation (AVM) removal
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
REDUCING THE RISK OF STROKE
- Unpublished results from the project Monitoring Stroke Burden in Malaysia: the use of linked national data sources (NMRR-18-100-39847)
- Mustapha Feisul. MJM 2017. 72. 271-277
- Jabatan Perangkaan Negara. Punca kematian utama Malaysia 2017
- Aziz et al. Acute Stroke Registry Malaysia, 2010-2014: Results from the National Neurology Registry, Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases,
Lee et al. Economic BURDEN of Malaysia: Results from National Neurology Registry WCN17-1249, World Congress Neurology 2017, Japan